- Don’t leave your keys or ID documents within easy reach of doors, letterboxes or windows.
- Close and lock all doors and windows. If you have multi-locking door handles, lift the handle, lock it with the key and remove it – LIFT – LOCK – REMOVE. Put the key in a safe place out of sight in case of fire.
- Lock garages and sheds so garden tools and ladders can’t be used to break into your home.
- Keep side gates locked and wheelie bins stored behind them.
- Use timer switches linked to lights and a radio so it appears that someone is at home.
- Invest in a safe for valuables and sentimental items and securely fix it to a solid surface.
- Install a visible intruder alarm system – burglars don’t want to be seen or heard.
- Install low level ‘dusk till dawn’ lighting to increase visibility and deter burglars.
- Keep side and rear boundaries high to restrict access and front boundaries low to remove hiding places.
- Photograph and mark valuables and sentimental items with your postcode and house number/name. Register items with serial numbers at: immobilise.com – see related links.